Monday, February 11, 2013

A big pat on the back

Ok so on Sunday I blogged that I was going to complete the January and February Lucky Star BOM Blocks and that I was going to pick from my stash instead of buying more fabric! 
Anyway I found this wonderful pile of fabric that I was saving for who knows what.  Its Pat Bravo's Dreaming in French collection and I thought well there's no point leaving it in a box in a cupboard - let's use it!  I am just hoping I have enough for the whole project.

So after a slightly delayed start (we went fishing and the only thing we caught were pippies which got the kids (and me) quite excited) I finished the January block last night and managed to finish the February block today, while my 3 year old had a much needed nap.  The colours are much truer in the picture at right rather than the blocks.  Not sure what happened there.  And yes I do need to iron better.

I do have a rather large pile of largeish offcuts from the blocks.  Maybe I should cut the starting strips smaller so there is not as much wastage.  Any ideas peeps?



I am quite pleased with myself and I am thinking this method of blog your goal for the day may work in the future.  A bit like writing a list for lots of people to see and shaming yourself into doing it so you don't look like a big wally :)

Linking up to Lets Get Acquainted Blog Hop.

14 comments:

  1. Pretty Fabrics! YOur stars will look great! Don't forget to count how many FQ's you are using!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, ha, quite, I do the write a list thing, and although I don't get everything done it really helps in keeping me motivated. I love the stars, you've made a fab start. I find paper piecing really wasteful too, but if i cut it smaller i often end up getting it wrong, very annoying. i did try not cutting bits off the FQ's and sewing on a suitable side of the FQ and then cutting away the excess, it can be a bit cumbersome, but reduces wastage! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. PRETTY!!! Awesome star blocks. That is going to be one fabulous quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So so pretty!! These are going to be beautiful!! I was a little worried you were going to pick stash fabrics that are old and gross (not because you would, but because some people do and ewww!) these are gorgeous and the stars look fabulous. Yay for hoarding the nice stuff :-)
    E xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do lots of foundation paper piecing pattern testing (wow that's a bit of a mouthful! )and whenever possible I work with my whole piece of fabric rather than cutting bits off first. If the whole piece is too large I cut it down to a fat quarter for manageability. This way there is little wastage and you have fewer mistakes than you get using cut bits that may end up too small or cut at the wrong angle once ironed back into place. When I first started out I tried to cut smaller bits to stop fabric wastage and suffered all these problems, then discovered bigger pieces actually save fabric and make the whole process faster and easier! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great fabric choice, your stars are coming along nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm doing that same public goal setting in the hopes I will achieve them. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So impressed! Haven't tried paper piecing yet but one day...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun! I need to try paper piecing too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm doing the Lucky Stars BOM too!! I haven't started yet though :( Even though I have my fabric! Maybe now that my back is curtailing activities I may get around to it, one short hour at a time :) Your blocks are gorgeous, good choice on the fabric!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great fabrics and block . When I paper piece I flip my paper pattern back on to the fabric which gives you a great view of how much fabric is needed and you could cut the piece of fabric then, it actually saves on the fabric. :-)))))

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow that looks amazing!
    Happy blogging

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments. Thank you so much for taking the time to leave one.
I will endeavour to reply to all via email.